Monday, August 11, 2008

Is there a wrong or right way to worship?

So, I have been working at LifePointe Christian for about a month now and I am finally getting into the groove of being a lead worshipper again. Before LifePointe, I was just a guy in the worship band playing a bunch of instruments and I loved it. I didn't lead worship very much and I kind of lost the skill of leading people to approach the thrown of God. I was thinking the other day that people don't have sing to worship or raise their hands to worship. I can admit seeing people cry,lift their hands, and clap made used to feel like that I am doing an awesome job leading people. It's really not about how I play or sing. People still worship when the guitar player screws up a lead part. Its more about the message of the song and how it touches peoples lives. The song strikes a nerve in someones heart to worship. Now, when I see people just stare with their arms crossed, it doesn't make me feel like the music sucks. I just assume that they are taking it all in and thinking about the lyrics of the songs. I dunno. Is there a wrong or right posture to worship? No, I don't think so. In the Old Testament, there are many examples of people falling face down to worship. These Hebrew words below describe the different posture used to worship.

Barak: To worship the Lord by kneeling or bowing; to humbly recognize God
as the origin of all power, success, or victory.
Psalm 95:6 O Come, let us worship and bow down: Let us Barak before the
Lord our Maker
.
Shachah: To worship by falling down, bowing, or prostrating your self.

I am not saying everyone has to fall face down but it makes me think if I would really do that around a bunch of people I don't know. Hmmmm. I dunno.

No comments: